Thursday, May 24, 2012

Updates

First and most importantly, my apologies for the week long delay between updates...in my defense, classes got going this past week and everything just got going a million miles an hour and so busy.  *If anybody in the Cohort has a picture of the "dungeon" can you give it to me so I can post it here?* 

An average day right now is looking like: Up at 7:30, shower, breakfast, class from 8:30-12:30 (3:30 on Tuesdays), then a little bit of a break for lunch/relaxing, then we usually have some sort of activity going on in the early afternoon whether it be dance, yoga, cricket, etc...then we have our "free time" which isn't really so much free as it is dedicated to homework/reading for classes.

Overall though, I do not have a single complaint about my experience so far.  I have met some awesome friends, who I'm sure will become great friends back home and in the future, I have yet to get sick in any fashion, and I am staying busy and learning a lot.

One thing that I am really excited for that we started yesterday is yoga.  We are being taught by a 25 year-old guy who has been studying since he was 7 (yes, studying yoga)...yesterday he told us he had 2 bulging disks that prevented him from hardly bending over and with yoga he can touch his forehead to his knees...it was crazy how much sweat yoga produces in only an hour and with hardly an exertion, but we are hoping to have our teacher come 4 times a week to practice with us, and I'm hoping I can work on it here and translate it to finding a studio in Tucson!

Another thing I want to talk about are rickshaws...possibly the scariest, yet most fun one person can have in a motorized vehicle.  It's essentially a free-for-all on the roads here in India, with motorcycles dodging in and out of the smallest gaps and rickshaws doing the same...lanes don't exist although there is some paint on most roads as an optional "guide", if you will.  Here are some pictures:





<-- lots of traffic and we are probably 6 inches away from that silver car on the right...close quarters





A rickshaw is a 3-wheeled motorized (when I say motorized, I'm talking weed-whacker maybe lawnmower) vehicle that is (I think) fueled by liquid propane...we can pack 3 guys about my size in the back although that's not the most comfy option...

All-in-all riding in a rickshaw there is always the possibility that it is the last thing you ever do in your life, but at the same time we have yet to see any sort of accident at all, controlled chaos at its finest...we have talked on multiple occasions about how if Indian traffic/driving was like that in the United States what a complete shit show it would be.






Thanks so much for reading, and now that I have kind of settled in a routine, I hope I will be able to continue updating on my adventures more often with pictures and stories, but for now, I'm going to take a nap and then it's off to work on our Marketing project (expanding Dunkin' Donuts into Bangalore).

Cheers,
Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. I think your doing a great job!! It's pretty interesting, and yes more pics plz! Be safe out there especially in the Rickshaw...And keep up the good work! :)

    Cheers!
    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete